Did You Gain Weight Over Memorial Day Weekend?
The first challenge for avoiding summer weight gain is Memorial Day weekend. I was at three different barbeques this weekend and saw a lot of people having a good time but unfortunately over indulging on empty calories. Opposed to conventional wisdom, most people can eat red meat and have an alcoholic drink at a barbeque while avoiding summer weight gain. All you have to do is follow a few simple Fitness Contrarian rules on what to eat at a barbecue to beat summer weight gain.
What to Eat at a Barbeque to Beat Summer Weight Gain
- Always start off with a salad. I have never been to an adult barbeque where there was not a salad.
- Don’t pick on chips or pretzels. They’re just empty calories that you don’t even realize you’re eating. Must people will grab a handful out of habit when they’re not even hungry.
- It’s ok to eat hamburger but avoid the bun. Same thing for a hotdog; if you have to have one don’t eat the bun.
- The best choices for your entrée would be grilled fish or lean meats but fattier cuts are ok as long as you avoid other empty calories at the barbeque like bread and sugary deserts.
- Stay away from potato and pasta salads. Potato salad and pasta salad is too carbohydrate heavy along with all the other food you will be eating and drinking at a barbeque.
- Eat as many vegetables as you like. Corn on the cob is great along with any grilled vegetables.
- When it comes to drinking alcohol, I like to drink beer at a summer barbeque. What I do to limit the calories is drink light beer on ice. I drink light beer on ice all summer long. It‘s a great summer drink that is low in calories and limits the amount of alcohol consumed. It’s my version of a white wine spritzer. A white wine spritzer is a great idea at a barbecue, as well.
- Watermelon or any fruit is a great choice for desert at a barbeque. Just stay away from cakes and pies.
Everyone loves going to barbeques in the summer but doesn’t like to gain weight. I’ve been helping my personal training clients avoid gaining weight in the summer by following the above simple rules.
Let me know how you avoid gaining weight at a summer barbeque.
If you enjoyed this post, then make sure you subscribe to my e-mail list.
Best – Mike Cola
Get My Free "Forever 27" Workout !
Enter your email to get immediate access to "Forever 27" Workout